Cook County Treasurer's Office - 7/24/2008
Pay by August 1 to Avoid Penalties, Possible Loss of Homes, Pappas Says
Some 43,000 property owners who owe about $127 million in delinquent taxes should pay by August 1 to avoid further financial penalties and having their taxes auctioned at the Annual Tax Sale beginning later in August, Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas said today.
Pappas said that because this year’s Annual Tax Sale for delinquencies from tax year 2006 issued in 2007 will be conducted electronically:
- It will take four days instead of the 20 business days needed in the past.
- Property owners will have less time in which to avoid their delinquent taxes being sold.
Pappas said those who pay before August 1 would avoid having their delinquent bills rise another 1.5 percent. Those whose taxes are purchased at the Tax Sale would have to pay more to buy their taxes back and could lose their homes or other real property if they fail to redeem.
Taxpayers can see if they owe for Tax Year 2006 by having their 14-digit Property Index Number and visiting Pappas’ website at cookcountytreasurer.com or calling 312.443.5100.
Delinquencies are paid by certified check, cashier’s check or money order, and cash in person. No personal, company or business checks are accepted. Payment can be made at:
- More than 300 Chase Bank locations throughout Chicagoland.
- The Treasurer’s Office, 118 North Clark Street, Room 112, Chicago, IL 60602, in person or by mail.
The Sale will be conducted from August 12 through August 15, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., via a website of Realauction.com. Unpaid taxes in the County’s 30 suburban townships will be offered first, followed by Chicago’s eight townships, according to the following schedule:
- August 12 – Barrington, Berwyn, Bloom, Bremen, Calumet, Cicero, Elk Grove, Evanston, Hanover, Lemont, Leyden, Lyons, Maine, New Trier, Niles, Northfield, Norwood Park, Oak Park, Orland, Palatine, Palos.
- August 13 – Proviso, Rich, River Forest, Riverside, Schaumburg, Stickney, Thornton, Wheeling, Worth, Hyde Park.
- August 14 – Hyde Park, Jefferson, Lake.
- August 15 – Lake, Lake View, North Chicago, Rogers Park, South Chicago, West Chicago.