The surviving spouses of police officers, rescue workers and members of the military who die in the line of duty may be eligible for a total rebate on their City of Chicago and Cook County property taxes.
To apply, submit this application to the Cook County Board of Review.
Who Is Eligible to Apply?
- The surviving spouses of:
- Police officers
- Fire fighters
- Emergency medical service providers
- Members of the military on active duty in Iraq or Afghanistan
- Properties used as a principal residence by a surviving spouse that are not occupied by more than 2 families and were:
- Owned by the surviving spouse or the decedent at the time of the death, or
- Acquired by the surviving spouse within 2 years after the death if the surviving spouse lived in Illinois at the time of death, or
- Acquired more than 2 years after the death if the surviving spouse qualified for the abatement for a previous property
The Cook County Board of Review has further details about the abatement.