How Do I Apply for a Property Tax Refund?
Refunds are not made automatically. Those who overpay or double-pay their Cook County property taxes must submit a refund application.
A key to speeding up your refund is having a completed application and proof of payment ready when applying.
How to Claim Your Property Tax Refund
A Three-step Guide to the Application Process
- Click here to download and print the refund application form.
- Complete, sign and return the application with ONE of the following proofs of payment for each payment.
- Copy of cancelled check(s)
- Copy of register receipt from cashier
- Copy of paid tax sale redemption bill
- Copy of real estate closing statement with copy of title company check
- Copy of bank statement showing account holders name and subject tax payment
- Copy of credit card statement showing account holders name and subject tax payment
- If a mortgage company paid, a copy of IRS Form 1098 indicating taxes paid for tax year in question OR a letter from the mortgage company, addressed to you, including Property Index Number (PIN), amount paid, date paid, tax year and installment
- If another party paid the taxes (such as a builder, a prior or subsequent owner, title company, leaseholder, mortgage company or someone who owns part of the same PIN), you may be asked for a letter of direction in order to receive the refund. The letter of direction is written by the other payer and authorizes the Treasurer's Office to issue a refund to the person applying for the refund.
NOTE: Tax buyers applying for a refund must provide the original validated receipt and letter of deletion from the County Clerk's Office.
NOTE: In compliance with Cook County Ordinance 07-O-69, if you are a mortgage lender or any business organization that services real estate loans, for example, a title insurance company, you must include along with your refund application and proof of payment, a separate check in the amount of $50 for EACH refund application that you submit to this Office. Please remember to put on the face of the check, and NOT on the check stub, the: (i) PIN; (ii) address of the property; (iii) the tax year for which you are requesting a refund; and, (iv) your company's name, address, telephone number and email address.
- Mail or bring completed documents to our office. Please sign the application. We will not process incomplete or unsigned applications.
If you have difficulty with any of the three steps listed above, you may contact our office or call us at 312.443.5100.