Duplicate and Overpayment Refund Information FAQ Section
Sufficient copies of the taxpayer's proof of payment must accompany all refund applications.
Accepted forms of proof of payment include:
IF YOU PAID BY CASH
- A photocopy of your teller receipt for the tax year and installment where the multiple payment or overpayment occurred
IF YOU PAID BY PERSONAL CHECK/BUSINESS CHECK
- A photocopy of the canceled check(s) used to pay the taxes for the tax year and installment where the multiple payment or overpayment occurred
IF YOU PAID BY CASHIER'S CHECK/MONEY ORDER
- A photocopy of the customer receipt, or the front of the check or money order for the tax year and installment where the multiple payment or overpayment occurred
NOTE: If you cannot locate a copy of the canceled check(s) used to pay taxes, you may submit a copy of the monthly bank statement that shows the corresponding check number and amount of payment.
IF YOU PAID BY ON-LINE PAYMENT AT www.cookcountytreasurer.com
- Your bank statement indicating the successful transfer of funds to the Cook County Treasurer's Office for the tax year and installment where the multiple payment or overpayment occurred
IF YOU PAID THROUGH YOUR MORTGAGE COMPANY, BANK OR TITLE COMPANY
- A statement or letter from the company indicating: (1) Property Index Number, (2) taxpayer's name, (3) taxpayer's address, (4) amount(s) paid, and (5) date(s) of payment(s)
HELPFUL TAXPAYER TIP: One shortcut for proof of a mortgage company payment is to use a copy of your IRS Form 1098. This record, which most taxpayers keep with their income tax files, is the form that the mortgage company sends to report the interest you paid and the taxes the company paid on your behalf. This is especially useful if you refinanced, your loan was sold, or the mortgage company for a past tax year cannot be contacted. Be sure to submit the correct calendar year copy of the IRS Form 1098 record. (For example, the 2001 property taxes were due in calendar year 2002. As such, your 2002 IRS 1098 form would be your proof of payment for the 2001 property taxes in most cases.)
IF YOU PAID MULTIPLE PARCELS WITH ONE CHECK
- For each refund requested, a list of the PINs paid with that check must be provided with a copy of the front of the check for the installment where the multiple payment or overpayment occurred.
Additional forms of proof of payment include:
- Copy of the paid tax sale redemption bill;
- Copy of the real estate sale "closing statement" along with a copy of the title company's check;
- If a TAX BUYER is applying for the duplicate or overpayment, the buyer seeking the refund must provide original validated receipt and letter of deletion from County Clerk's Office.
- In case of a duplicate payment, proof of payment must be submitted for each payment.
- In case of a multiple payment, proof of payment must be submitted for ALL payments made.